What is a Water Softener and do I need one?
A water softener is a unit that is used to soften water by removing the minerals that cause the water to be hard. When water contains a high level of calcium, magnesium, it is called hard water. Hard water is known to clog pipes, complicate soap and detergent dissolving in water, and leave behind water spots. It creates a scale buildup inside your pipes and water appliances reducing the efficiency of your water heater. This means more energy is used to heat water which will result in increased energy expenses. Soap is also less effective in hard water because it reacts to form the calcium or magnesium salt of the organic acid of the soap. Skin washed in hard water is typically reported as feeling scratchy and dry as a result of the soap scum. Hair washed in hard water is reported as being dull-looking and sticky. The resulting soft water is more compatible with soap and extends the lifetime of plumbing. Water softening is usually achieved using lime softening or ion-exchange resins.
By having your water independently tested, you can get a reading into how “hard” your water really is. DENOCO Energy Systems Ltd. offers this testing free of charge. If the testing proves your home would benefit from a water softener some of the advantages are as follows:
Water Softener Advantages
- With a water softener your silverware and glassware, are cleaner and shinier
- Your hair and skin feels softer, cleaner and smoother with water treated by a water softener.
- Hard water treated with a water softener, greatly reduces housework by eliminating the formation of soap curd.
- Hard water made soft through a water softener restores the rich lathering of your soaps and shampoos, thus reducing the usage and costs of these products by 75%.
- Fabrics are also softer without hard minerals become trapped in them. Fabrics last longer and whites stay white without the dingy gray caused by hard water.
- Soft water also preserves the life of all water using appliances such as coffee and ice makers, dishwashers, and clothing washers. A water heater protected by a water softening system could also reduce the yearly energy cost of that appliance.
Call DENOCO, one of our expert team members will be happy to help you decide what is most beneficial for your home.